In honor of my love for the 80s, my infatuation with The Bangles when I was a tween, and my truly MANIC day today, I am including the lyrics to an old favorite here. I can hear the melody in my head, and I am instantly transported to my elementary school talent show, where my friend and I, mere third-graders, are performing a dance (choreographed by us) in our matching splatter-color shirt-and-short set. Classy.
Manic Monday
by The Bangles
Six o'clock already I was just in the middle of a dream
I was kissin' Valentino
By a crystal blue Italian stream
But I can't be late
'Cause then I guess I just won't get paid
These are the days
When you wish your bed was already made
It's just another manic Monday
I wish it was Sunday
'Cause that's my funday
My I don't have to runday
It's just another manic Monday
Have to catch an early train
Got to be to work by nine
And if I had an air-o-plane
I still couldn't make it on time
'Cause it takes me so long
Just to figure out what I'm gonna wear
Blame it on the train
But the boss is already there
All of the nights
Why did my lover have to pick
Last night to get down
Doesn't it matter
That I have to feed the both of us
Employment's down
He tells me in his bedroom voice
C'mon honey, let's go make some noise
Time it goes so fast
When you're having fun
::
Okay, so I admit, my manic Monday wasn't manic for the exact same reason as hers was, but I do have a boss who requires me to report to work, energetically, at 6 am, so she had it easy. And, whoah, I never knew the actual words in the second-to-last stanza until now. You know how the lyrics just run together like Charlie Brown-teacher speak when you're young and singing songs. Okay, and when you're old, too. So now I'm thinking this might have been an inappropriate song choice for 8-year-olds in a Catholic school talent show. Heh. I bet the nuns didn't have a clue. Or maybe they were just drunk.


2 comments:
This cracks me up because I often listen to lyrics and I am just shocked that I sang along to them in my youth with *no* idea what they were about. I also just love the idea of you performing in your talent show... ha ha ha... Susannah Hoffs rocks!!
Yeah, that talent show was definitely a moment in time for me. I remember preparing for it, thinking we were SO cool, and then kind of feeling like an idiot when we were up there in front of the whole school. Ah, the sweet abandon of youth...
Post a Comment