29 May 2008

bird droppings and the secrets of the universe

love.your.life

Love your life (even though you don't have a dishwasher). This is my meditation as I try to erase dinner from two nights ago off our slow cooker while Eli does a figure-8 of some sort between my legs.

I am convinced that the secrets of the universe will be uncovered by one extremely, perhaps manically, organized individual. I bet Jesus, the Buddha, Ghandi, Bill Gates, and Ryan Seacrest were/are all very organized people. I mean, think about it. The Last Supper? That was one hell of a dinner party to pull off -- even with only one type of carbohydrate and alcohol as the main course. And commentating American Idol, I mean, come on, people. That takes skills.

I will never know the secrets of the universe, because, a truly organized mind is just not in my genetic code. But, oh, how I try. Like today, for instance. I did all these things:

Woke up, with Eli in tow;
Made coffee and sandwich for husband;
Scarfed a Fiber One bar while child watched morning television while eating bananna;
Drank said coffee;
Did photography work on computer while child watched more morning television;
Prepared gourmet lunch of turkey in pita bread for self and child;
Sat and ate lunch with child;
Answered lots of questions while eating said pita;
Took said child outside to play;
Decided to weed an overgrown flower bed;
Watered flowers and vegetable garden;
Cleared other rocks and weeds from behind house;
Kicked ball with child;
Swang (swung?) with child;
Held garden hose while child ran under and around it with endless fascination;
Pondered dirty dishes in sink;
Hung bed sheets on clothes line to dry;
Lured child inside to take nap with promise of cool pop;
Started cleaning kitchen and re-organizing pantry while child (miraculously) fell asleep on the floor eating said cool pop;
Transferred child to sofa;
Continued in kitchen;
Completed pantry;
Cooked dinner;
Fed self and child;
Called husband to say 'you can come home now';
Said to child, "No more cool pops or banannas until you eat more of your dinner."
Greeted husband at door with toy steering wheel in hand. Don't ask.

I was feeling smug.

I had accomplished so much today.

Then, as we headed out for an evening walk, a bird crapped on my head.

I give up.

11 comments:

mom-in-law said...

Oh Jen...This was a much needed "read". It made me laugh heartily. Thank you for writing. I needed that today. Bird crap, huh?! Have a great, organized day. On my way to the hosp. Love you...MIL

m.e. said...

So glad I could supply a laugh and so sorry to hear about MoMo ;-( I hope the surgery went well and that she is in okay spirits. Thinking of y'all...

~Free said...

A bird pooping on your head is good luck. Seriously!

m.e. said...

Really?????

~Free said...

Yes, really! In my family, anyway, we've always considered it good luck. And if you get socked with it on the head, well, I just think that's an extra ten points of good luck.

m.e. said...

Wow, then I scored big time yesterday. Yeaahhhh!

Emily said...

At a party eons ago, I was standing on a balcony overlooking crashing waves on the beach below, when all of a sudden a huge palmetto bug (cockroach with wings, ok?!!) flew into my long hair and got stuck!! yay for your productive day!

Anonymous said...

F-U-N-N-Y!!! Such is life...such is life...girrrl, keep on 'ritin'...I see a coffee table book in your future...sooooo damned talented!
Smooches and Smooshes,
Aunt Jenny ;}

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh . . . no dishwasher??? Bummer. I think I'd go plastic by the second day when we ran out of clean ones:)

Swinged?? Swong??

True story, part of family lore. My mom got hit one time when a bird made it into her moving car through the sunroof and behind her sunglasses onto her eye. No lie. Totally gross, but quite amazing.

Have a great, disorganized weekend:)

Sarah said...

I literally just laughed for about 3 minutes straight.. wanna know which part made me crack up??
..when the bird crapped on your head!

not that I enjoy that the bird crapped on your head, but it was so funny because I had no idea that that was coming after reading about your whole day!

Cakes on a Plane said...

Wahhhh! You are so funny, you! Great post that said SO much. I loved reading it this morning. You make me love myself more whenever I read your writing. Thank you friend.