infertility
I am feeling intellectually and creatively barren these days. Mama mushy brains here. Originality eludes me. For starters, I've only been promising my friend Jean for months now that I will write a poem for her to lay her fabulously poetic eyes upon and offer some critique. Because, though I never have thought myself much of a poet, I see the poetic everywhere everyday. We all do, right? Because life is so naturally poetic. The challenge is just to write it down, despite the inner critic who chides, "You can't." And then, god, there's the vocabulary. In fact, I'm shocked I was able to come up with chides. Had to mine for that one in the depths of my pre-mother lexicon. And, wow, lexicon. Whence did that golden nugget spring? Perhaps I am not as devoid of brains as I thought.
Actually, now that I've pondered this for the three-and-a-half minutes it took me to write the above paragraph, I think it's the reality TV that has shot me off into a state of mindlessnessness, landing me in my current wasteland of dull ideas. Kerplunk. I think this because last night as I was climbing the stairs to go to bed, all I could think about was how brainless Billy Ray Cyrus is and how much American Idol sucked last night. But I should really give myself some credit for swearing off The Bachelor this season. I think it's a real sign of personal growth for me. I mean, I am 30 now.
Perhaps, though, I should take a lesson from my toddler boy. For weeks now, he has been on verbal strike, refusing to speak and wow us with any of the words he was quite close to perfectly articulating weeks ago. Gone, like...and you see, I can't even make a proper metaphor for this. Shameful. I suppose I could've said gone with the wind, but, God as my witness, that's just pathetic, and, hullo, unoriginal, babe. Anyway, SD and I were reading and learned that sometimes this happens to toddlers when they are concentrating on learning other skills, and that once mastered, the former skills return to merge with the newly-acquired ones. So, maybe, I have reverted to my toddler-brain and just can't juggle all my genius balls at one time. Yes, that must be it. After all, packing a dishwasher, laundering snotty sofa cushions, sucking up a carpeted ocean of goldfish -- all require significant concentration and skill, my friends. It's no wonder I can't write a poem.
And then there's the goddamn woodpecker on our roof. If the above skills weren't enough to construct an artistic dam, the restraint required to keep myself from mudering a bird is.
Maybe I need another theme week here? You know, like Fashion Week, because I think we can all say it was then that I reached the pinnacle of my genius.Even in a rut, however, I count my blessings, every one of them. I have been drawn to this story on one of my new favorite blogs, written by Kate, mama to Evan and most recently, little Ben and Liam who were born prematurely with numerous complications, and who are struggling, day by day, to breathe and to live. Makes me realize how lucky I am to have a healthy, bustling, breathing, living boy, who is, by far, my (and his dad's) most creative and pleasing accomplishment.
I could really drone on and on because our boy-child is napping, and I am enjoying this unedited confessional of my artistic guilt. However, motor-skill refinement from behind the kitchen sink beckons. And soon, so shall the child. And the damn bird.

17 comments:
We all get in the dolldrums intellectionally or emotionally espessially when we have dishes waiting.
My sister once had a woodpecker nesting in her dryer vent that errupted from the hose just as she was loading some whites. Think "Alien." I believe it took a few years off her life.
OMG! I might never be able to bring myself to wash clothes again, which, come to think of it, might be a great excuse not to do it. Now if only I could find a way to get the bird to nest in the dryer...
It may be reality TV, but let me tell you, I have NO TV and still I am creatively dry. I really like your analogy about little Eli putting talking on the back burner while he learns another skill. I think this is perfect and true. The worst thing you can do is stress about it. I find the more you fight anything, the worse it gets. Just go with the flow... Also, you know parenting is an art ;)
OMG Brian, is that TRUE?? That is freaking hilarious.
Thanks for the encouragement, Jean! Actually, perhaps I'll write a poem about killing a woodpecker?
Ahhh, and yes, my friend, parenting, 'tis truly an art -- sometimes just paint splattered on canvas.
Tis true indeed. The critter, instead of working furiously trying to peck through the siding, simply found the vent leading to the out-of-doors and flew in!
Brian, I am cracking up. That is just too much.
Jen, I think it would be so fun and hilarious to do "13 Ways to Kill a Woodpecker" and use the Stevens poem as your model. Well, that's kind of cruel. But it could work.
Oh, that is such a great idea, Jean!! I'm going to give it a shot (pardon the pun) and see what I come up with ;-)I know a while back you suggested I find some poems and model them, and that's really the springboard I need. I think I struggle with form the most. Okay, off to kill a woodpecker.
"Quothe the woodpecker... Nevermore"
LOL!!! That's great ;-)
Jen,
I have been reading SweetSalty a lot too. I think about those little babies often.
Oh, I know, isn't it just the most terrible twist of fate. I really hope they pull through. They are such a sweet, sweet family!
In the very act of claiming your lack of creativity, creativity emerges:
"packing a dishwasher, laundering snotty sofa cushions, sucking up a carpeted ocean of goldfish"...
Poetic, my dear friend. Poetic. I also loved the term "genius balls". I think I'll snatch that one up and reuse it, if you don't mind.
Oh, and I too wonder if my perpetual thoughts about Lost, AI, The Office (OMG, Pam confessed...fianlly!)are killing brain cells. IN FACT, just now I had to actually THINK if "killing" was spelled with a k or a c...just for a second...damn.
Oh, Jillie, you are so kind, my friend ;-) Yes, may use *genius balls* however you like, but I may have to collect royalties. I'm SO kidding. We are now on the second DVD of Season 2 of the Office. And I know Pam and Jim *sort of* get together because I remember all the hype in previews last season. OMG, I love that show. Makes me forget all my troubles ;-)
Hi Jen! Remember me, from Amber's class? I had your blog marked as a "favorite" and when you changed, I couldn't find it. Not having the message board has sucked!! I feel so disconnected suddenly from that group. Are you taking the second half? I'd love to keep in contact with a few from the first. Maybe through email? Anyways, glad I found you (linked to name on comments section). Love the photo of flower and ring. Keep snapping great photos!
Hey, Debbi! I just sent you an email, so hopefully you get it ;-) I'd love to keep in touch, and I'm so sad about the message board snafu. I hope it is recovered and gets up an running again. I am planning to take Amber's second class, just need to pay my $$. Hope to see you there! And let's stay in touch, too. My email is mommyjenn@gmail.com. Take care!
Post a Comment