08 March 2007

no itsy bitsy polka dots here

All right, so my fashion week is turning out to be kind of lame. I had high hopes, but I would just rather be doing other things than looking for outfits online and trying to establish some chic but simple and affordable style for myself, my child, and my husband -- which is why, as I have already stated, we will be visiting our favorite FFTM stores in the coming weeks and letting someone else do it for us. Of course, with this comes the acceptance that our style will be the exact same style of thousands of others. Too bad we're not rich. Then we could afford a personal stylist.

Okay, I'm over it. The dream is dead. Bring on the sameness.

So today's post was going to be about swimwear. I know. Appalling. But now that SD and I have decided we will combine a beach weekend (Eli's first!) in early June with visiting an old friend of his in Corpus Christi, I must start thinking on how best to represent myself and my, how shall I say, fuller environs, in these beachy, peachy situations. I suppose I do still have a little time to get buff, but who are we kidding. Really. A better bet is to just find a merciful swimsuit that can forgive a thousand sins, like the bar of dark mint chocolate I consumed last night.

Bikinis are out. AS IF I even needed to establish that one. I don't know that I have EVER in my life worn one. I have done the tankini. I can deal with that. So I'm soliciting your help (yes, all three of you) on this one. Maybe my hip little collegiate sister (and the other hip little high school one too) can come through for me on this. Where, oh, where on this godforsaken spinning sphere can I find some decent, kind and merciful swimwear to cloak my undesirables?

7 comments:

Brian said...

Hey Jen...I had the same dimema last year and found some great suits at Lands End that were flattering...also good ol target -bethany

m.e. said...

Hey, Bethany! Yeah, I've heard Lands End is good...I will check them out. And Target, of course, is always on my radar. They have EVERYTHING! How are you doing???? Good, I hope. Baby behaving him/herself? :-)

m.e. said...

Thanks, Sarah!!!!! I knew you would come through for me! I will be going to ON and Target, so I will look there. I like the idea of mix and match. I also like halters and find them flattering to the arms, moreso than two straps, so I will look for that! And J Crew...forgot about them!!! Happy studying. Let's catch up over the phone this weekend :-)

~Free said...

Target has TONS of swimsuits in lots of styles. I find Old Navy suits to be a bit teeny. I have a good Lands End suit, too - very high quality. I am so happy I have a few months to try to get some of this fat off. I really just want liposuction. Is that so wrong?

m.e. said...

Nothin' wrong with lipo. Heh. Except I can't afford it. Other than that, I'd be finding me a good doctor and suckin' that sludge right off. Instead, I suppose I will have to return to the gym or get the free weights out of the garage. Shucks.

Anonymous said...

Hey sista'-in-law--Jenny here...I am not a swimsuit gal myself (I prefer the fashionable designer sheet-over-head look), but I did see that you can now get these cute little bathing-shorts now---it is a great alternative to the bikini bottoms---I have seen them everywhere! Good Luck!

m.e. said...

Awesome, Jenny! Thanks for weighing in on the swimsuit challenge :-) I will look for those bottoms when I assemble a suit. And, yes, I too am generally fond of the sheet-over-head look. It has always worked very well for me. How are you?? :-)