09 March 2007

dreaming of the espadrille

So, as my not-so-stellar Fashion Week comes to a close, I realize that I have done nothing on shoes. The thing I (and probably ever other woman) love most about shoe shopping is that you never go home feeling like you need to lose 10 pounds. Feet might not be the most attractive parts of our bodies, but they also don't pack the twinkies like other bodily regions. So, in honor of how fun and self-esteem boosting it always is to shop for shoes, I thought I'd post a few favorites. Eli and I met our neighbor and her kids at the park earlier today, and I was, of course, scoping out what the other moms were wearing. Horrible. I know. But you know you would do it too. And it was field work for Fashion Week; I couldn't help myself. I have to say, some of them were lookin' pretty dang snappy for being at a playground. Can't say I would go through that much trouble to sweat while chasing after the kiddo, but at least it provided some great fashion ideas for the poor, disheveled moi. As I was pushing Eli in the swing (which I did for about an hour because he LOVES it more than all of his toys and a grilled cheese sandwich combined), I noticed them: a pair, delicate yet bold, stylish yet casual, and the perfect addition to jeans, gauchos, or a great sundress. Yes, ladies, 'twas indeed
the beloved espadrille.

This chance meeting reminded me that I've been wanting a pair of stinkin' espadrilles since they came back on the fashion scene a few years ago. But it's no surprise to me that I am, once again, at least a few light years behind the trend. But that's okay, this way I can wait and see if these sometimes flighty trends will indeed stick around before I actually purchase and possibly get photographed in them for all posterity. And also, it quite possibly minimizes the extent to which my children, decades from now, will laugh at me for what I was wearing. Well, nah, they'll probably still laugh. A lot. I was just trying to make myself feel better about being fashionably late ALL THE TIME. Anyway, as always, I digress. So, of course I wasn't going to walk up to her and ask her where she got the shoes because, well, that would make me look like the shoe-stalker that I really am. And it would also make me look desperate, like I have no real style or ideas of my own. And I mean, that's just not the case. Come on, people. I ooze personal style. So, after a couple of hours in the land of lots o' tots, Eli and I made our way home, and I, still dreaming of the espadrilles, made my way to the computer (once Eli was contentedly playing, of course) to search for the playground espadrilles. Sadly, I could not find the exact pair I saw, but I did find
these which are similar. I don't like them as much and, truth be told, I don't think they're techincally true espadrilles, but we all have to learn how to deal with disappointment in life, right? A bonus is that they're $39.99, which is not bad for a non-Payless shoe. I can't do Payless; they're cute, but they wreak some pretty severe havoc upon my feet.

A style I can't say I'm as thrilled about as the espadrille is the flat. I know, they're back whether I like it or not. Truth is, I like the look, but I've always depended on shoes to provide the height that my DNA didn't. Let's just say I was never the tallest girl in my class. Even though I'm not going to stock my closet with them, I do like
this one. It's got a cool skater look and it seems like it would be comfortable. So, it's a maybe.

Finally, the flip flop. Gosh, even though it's a flat, I gotta love it. Here's
one that looks very casual and cushy. And the price isn't bad either.

So, there you have it. My Fashion Week. And what have I learned? Just that this everyday posting bit is for the birds. I can't wait to go back to my normal routine of posting whenever the heckola I want to. And I'm sure you're saying, "Thank God (insert deity of choice), I'm tired of hearing from her." And I'm saying, "Thank God, I'm tired of hearing from me."

Thanks to all of you who weighed in on my swimsuit challenge. I'll post a photo of what I find. And now, in closing, I would like to leave you with the words of the brilliant and ever-witty Oscar Wilde, who said, "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." Ha!

Happy weekend, and I'll be back with my best shot Monday, but not until then because, gawd, I'm exhausted.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Jen, DNA didn't bring me height either. I think you were taller than me in the class..so at least you can attempt the flats more than I can! lol Great fashion week!

Chentelle

m.e. said...

Ha, ha!!! Thanks for commenting, Chentelle :-) How are you guys? We should get together when you come to Houston. When is that again?

~Free said...

There is something about those flats that *really* seem "you". I think you should get them. I need the height, too, but sometimes comfort outweighs looking tall. er.

Hey, one place we haven't mentioned during fashion week is H&M. If you have not been there, check it out!

m.e. said...

Yes, I like the flats! I think I just might get them :-) Oh, H & M, yes! You know, there was never really one close to me, so I never got in the habit of shopping there, but I hear there are some goodies there. Wasn't a store about to open up in the Towson Town Center? I don't think H & M is in our mall here, but I'm sure I can find them online. Thanks for the suggestion! Hope y'all are having a nice weekend. Sunday...wah :-(

m.e. said...

Damn...I just looked up H & M, and there are no stores in TX!! And you can't shop online. Wah. I'll just have to wire you $$ to shop for me in MD.

m.e. said...

Neato spiff. Heh. I like that. I'll have to file that away under "weird but funny sayings." Delias! Ahhh, such cute stuff. A little young for me, I feel, but there are some styles that can cross over into my adultness. Thanks for the reminder. Hope you had a nice weekend.

mom-in-law said...

Iwish I would have kept my shoes from the late 70's. Jenny and Liz laughed at pictures of me in espadrilles. They only wish I had them noe to pass along. I actually had a pair that looked identical to the ones I checked out on your blog. Amazing. I have enjoyed fashion week. Keep up the writing. Love you.

~Free said...

No H&M??? Tough luck - you should've done your research before you moved away from the Towson Town Center which now has a TWO story H&M. Heh.

m.e. said...

MIL: I wish you still had the espadrilles, too! :-) Hope y'all had a nice weekend.

Free: I'm jealous. Wah.

Anonymous said...

We actually went to Houston last month, but the trip was so quick. I'm sure we will be going there again soon. I'll let you know. We have been good! Courtlyn is going through the "terrific twos". A real test of patience for first timers! I am going to cosmetology school in November b/c I am bored with what I do and I have always wanted to do that. So it is time to have fun!! If yall are in town let me know! It would be so good to catch up!

Chentelle