01 March 2008

lots o' stuff

First, why do I feel like I am the last person to find out that Angelina is pregnant again? And that she and Brad are getting married? I know I've been preoccupied -- okay, consumed -- but, seriously, somebody needs to let me know these things.

It has been a while since I've checked in, so I'm trying to organize my thoughts and figure out the best way to update you on all that has happened in the past couple of weeks. There is one Dwight Schrute bobblehead that figures into all of this, but I'll get to that later.

First, I should say everything is still in place for our move on March 10. Shaun had a hellish week of work last week in efforts to meet a Friday deadline, which he succeeded in meeting (after a week of very little sleep and an obscene number of Red Bulls). Consequently, it has been a somewhat manic week for Eli and me as well, because, as it usually goes, when one person in the family is batty, so is everybody else. I guess that's the mark of a truly empathetic family. And I suppose we should feel good about this fact, but really, we are just tired.

Yesterday and today, we de-housed the house, taking pictures off the wall, breaking down furniture, cleaning out the garage and attic, and reducing most of what we have here to its lowest terms in preparation for the movers who come Thursday. I am really not nervous at all about this because we've just been through it a little more than a year ago. They will come in, introduce themselves (or not), bring in the boxes, and rifle through all of our personal belongings (including our underwear), sorting them into categorical boxes. Pretty simple. And we will watch as they shuttle them via squeaky dolly onto the snorting 18-wheeler, bound for our new home in Maryland.

When we moved from Baltimore, I remember being somewhat apprehensive about the movers arriving. What exactly were they going to do with our stuff -- particularly my underwear? Moving really makes you evaluate what your material possessions mean to you -- mainly because you have to go through them all, which is something you rarely do if you don't move. You just stuff them in the attic or the nearest closet or basement and forget about them.

I am always, to a certain, measurable degree, verklempt, when I sort through artifacts of my life -- which is why, I suppose, sorting through our closet last night caused Shaun and me to launch into a discusion of whether or not we believe in an afterlife and all the additional conversations that are associated with such a light, insignificant topic of discussion. It was the rosaries, I tell you. We only have like, a thousand, most of them from various grandparents of ours-- probably enough to start a church of our own. And as I separated them from the other secular jewelry in the lot, I couldn't help but reflect on where they had come from and how I hadn't used them in a very long time and what that meant about who I was and who I have become, and really just how our little family of three had evolved in the past two years. I don't say this as negative thing but as a real mark of growth. More about that later. But in the meantime, I can't help mulling over this blog post. If you have time and are looking for some spiritual contemplation, take a little time to read it, as well as the link to the post that sparked it all. Warning: Heavy stuff.

These past couple of weeks have been more trying than we probably could have imagined. Some days I feel a thousand years old. A couple of weeks ago, Eli and I were in a car accident, caused mainly by me and the millions of thoughts sparring in my head. I have always known I am not a good multi-tasker, but I guess this was the honest-to-goodness proof. Sometimes the universe just delivers a giant bitch-slap, which startles you into a new level of thinking, making you separate into different boxes "the important stuff in life" and "the extremely trivial crap that for some reason you thought you should be consuming yourself with." Everyone involved in the accident is fine, and I am most thankful for that and am focusing on that one fact, even as I feel drawn to replay step-by-step all that unfolded in those few sacred and chaotic moments. It's over, and we are moving on...with one less vehicle, but we'll address that after everything else shakes out.

Mixed in with all of the above have been other collisions of different varieties. This past week our realtor here called to say that the buyers for our house were having difficulties securing financing and were 'exploring other options' for getting the loan -- and this was followed by about a 24-hour period of not knowing whether we would get the sale or have to hang out the shingle again. And then the following morning we got a call from our loan officer in Maryland, saying that our loan program had been eliminated and that we would have to shuffle things up a bit and do some rearranging to 'make things work'.

THEN -- I called the NBC stores to check on the status of the Dwight Schrute bobblehead that I ordered at the beginning of December for Shaun's Christmas present and learned that even after re-ordering it in mid-January, it somehow still had NOT been shipped. I wish I had something really witty and acerbic to say about this, but I am just pissed that not even this miniscule and ridiculous aspect of our life can come together favorably and without a big damn effort.

We have managed to somewhat escape (or at least minimize) the effects of the aforementioned emotional upheaval by (a) watching a lot of American Idol, with which I am admittedly COMPLETELY obsessed with this season, (b) watching considerable amounts of A & E and HGTV, (c) consuming unprecedented amounts of junkfood, and (d) drinking the occasional margarita. Heh. And Eli has been spinning and whirling his matchbox cars across every wall in our house. And he makes his own sound effects, too, just in case you are wondering.

In our last week here, we'll be tidying up things, calling to set up/cancel utilities, saying goodbye to friends, trying to grab a few shots of the bluebonnets as they start to bloom, and continuing to build our arsenal of in-flight toddler gear. So far we have lollipops and other snacks, DVDs, a disposable camera, and velcro.

Yes, velcro. I know, it's weird, but whatever works, right?

9 comments:

mom-in-law said...

How wonderful to check your blog and see you had something new. All of this will soon be a blur to think back on. The thought of ya'll getting on a plane with no one to wave goodbye makes me kind of sad!!! I know it's silly. It's a Mom thing. But we can't wait to be able to visit ya'll in a new town and new house. It will be so interesting to hear how Eli will be with all this. That should make for some interesting stories. Anyway ya'll are wished only good things in this NEW chapter and with lots of love. MIL

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! WOW! You all have had a crazy couple of weeks. I can only tell you we can sympathize in many aspects. Glad to hear everyone is ok after the accident! Those types of things always seem to happen when we're already feeling overwhelmed. We had the same issue with the loan program and after a couple of frustrating weeks it got resolved. I'm currently wishing there were moving/ setting up fairies that could take care of the million boxes of crap we have and magically but it where it should belong in our house by Friday because Mia's 3rd (can't believe that) b-day party is Sat. The year we would have gladly gone with just cake and ice cream with grandma, grandpa and aunts and uncles is the year she wants a party with friends to play games. Go figure! We wish your move well. Also, can I have your new address...I have a mp3 cd here waiting to send out and I don't know if it will arrive in Texas before you move. I can try if you need kiddo music for the plane? Also, Crayola makes non-roll crayons, which Mia loved on the plane (the velcro will come in handy too).

Stacy said...

Well, I had no idea Angelina was preggo, and I thought Brad had already made an honest woman of her, so I guess I'm really out of the loop. ;)

Have fun moving...that's always a treat! Sorry to hear about the accident, too. :(

For you question on my blog re: the fabric. #1 for little ones you only need about a yard and a half - too much more and it gets unwieldy. #2 Don't wash it, and just iron out the creases and hang on a pants hanger. If you wash it the whole thing needs ironing, and I hate ironing, so that's just my suggestion. ;) #3 Use painters tape at the top and the sides to pull it flat, and cut a straight clean line at bottom.

Hope that helps!

Anna Sawin said...

I knew she was preggo, but had NO IDEA they were getting married. What's your source, hmmm? Spill it!

Sorry about the accident, that is no fun at all. Good luck moving!

Cakes on a Plane said...

1. God is a mystery that questioning never seems to answer, yet walks in the woods do.

2. We are not meant to multi-task so much. Overrated, I say. Again, I'm glad you and Sonny are okay.

3. Bobble-heads come late or not at all - so do Turbo Jam Workout DVDs from Amazon sellers (my excuse not to exercise as of late...I mean, how can I exercise when my new DVD isn't here yet?).

4. Maybe I should have someone move us so I can throw away all my stained underwear (don't pretend you don't have them, too).

5. I just today saw that Angelina was pregnant while buying more junk food at Giant.

6. If David Archuleta doesn't win Amerian Idol this year, I may have to quit watching televison altogether. (Well, that and when hell freezes over).

7. Please, get to Maryland soon. My brain may split in half if you don't.

Sandra Novack said...

I am filling in for Jean Marie.

Preggers? Who said? Last I heard they were a second from splitting up. Last-ditch effort, I think. You wait: One year until the divorce.

Sorry you got into a car accident! I don't multi-task, either. I'm just glad you're okay.

God? Hmmm.

Hope everything works out well with the move. There are always last minute snags, but remember: You buried that statue and all will be well.

Christina said...

Good gosh, you've had a crazy time of it. A hard break from your usual life it sitting back with your feet up eating bonbons, eh? ;o) I am crossing my fingers for you that the rest of this saga unfolds smoothly, and the next blog post will be to say "we're here! we're happy!"

~Free said...

Hey Jen - Jason and I were thinking we could come up next weekend either Saturday or Sunday and watch Eli while you guys unpack. Of course, we'll have Eva with us, so will that be a help??? I am not sure. But that's the best thing we could come up with as for how to help you! I realize it may be intrusive, too, so feel free to decline :) In any event, we wish you a smooth transition back to MD.

m.e. said...

Jean, we would LOVE to see you guys and have you welcome us back to MD ;-) I think Eli would love to see Eva and that it would be a great distraction for him in all this transition smansition. Either Saturday or Sunday would be wonderful...whichever you prefer. I just sent you an email with more details. Can't wait to see you all!!!!