26 July 2007

taming the beast

I am thinking that soon I will have to write an obituary for my blog. But I am going to make one more grand effort to resuscitate the feeble thing before it gets to that point.

My husband is more poetic than he believes himself to be and often gives me little morsels of inspiration. It's no secret to either of us or anyone who has come to our house lately that it's, well, a little bit messy. With my mad photography obsession, my desire to entertain and play with the child, and my poor husband's stupidly busy work schedule (not his fault), the house has suffered, namely the floors and the bathrooms. But the dishes, too. And just the general mess of junk mail, bills, and catalogs from expensive stores that accumulates into a Mt. Everest of insignificance atop the crumb-laden wood-grain surface of our IKEA kitchen table.

So, the other day, I skipped the gym and made the child play inside, and I cleaned. Like a mad woman.

And when my husband got home, he said very tenderly:

"Thank you for taming the beast."

:::

We took Eli to his first baseball game on Monday, and let's just say, for our child, the lyrics of the song should be changed to "Please, for the love of God, don't take me out to the ball game."

The kid had a major meltdown when we stepped into the expansive stadium of blinding lights, hurried fans, and over-zealous hot dog vendors. So, who even knows if the Astros won or not? We don't, because we didn't even make it to the second inning. Maybe next year.



For more delightful photos from the game, click to the right for our Flickr page. Happy weekend!
And Happy Birthday to Aunt Jenny and to Nanny Mel!!! ;-) Rock on, sistas...

10 comments:

mom-in-law said...

These are priceless. I was soooo excited to see you had written something. Cheers for you...there will always be cleaning to do. Enjoy taking pics and playing with Eli. You get an A+ from me. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh thank God, Jennifer. I was really starting to get the shakes from blog-withdrawal! DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT THE HOUSE! A messy house means a loved child and home...skip the dishes and clothes and roll around with the child...they are little for too short a time. Keep on keepin' on! Smooshes and smooches!
Aunt Jenny ; )

~Free said...

Don't kill your blog. Just lose the pressure you feel to updated it frequently. Post when you want! We'll still read it! Even if it's once a month.

Stacy said...

Oh, poor little guy!!

Well, Jen, sometimes life just gets busy. There are some weeks where I just feel like only posting pictures and don't have much dialogue and I'm fine with that! Don't put the added pressure on yourself...it's not worth it!!

m.e. said...

Thanks for all the moral support, ladies!!! I will try not to pressure myself...what a concept. It's a new one for me. Have a great weekend, everybody!

Anonymous said...

Awww... that's just so sad that he didn't enjoy the game. I can imagine how overwhelming a stadium can be for a little one. I know every time I go to a game it's quite overwhelming (in an exciting way though). On day he'll love it!

Christina said...

I'm gonna parrot everyone else and tell you to quit laying so much pressure on yourself! Update your blog when you feel like it/get the chance, but don't feel obligated. We understand. As for the house...eh, does it really matter? Baby and pictures are a thousand times more important! ;o)

Poor kid at the baseball game!

Melody A. said...

I love his hair coming out the bottom of his cap! So precious.

Anonymous said...

Exactly--update it when you want--takes away all the pressure! And we'll be glad to see your posts when you do update!

m.e. said...

Thanks, girls!!!! All of the pressure comes from myself, but I need to get better about that!! ;-)