03 April 2007

splendor in the grass

Tracey over at
Picture This is having a theme week, and today's theme is "spring," so here's my photo of the day, taken last week on a nature stroll through our neighborhood. Everything is in bloom here: lots of brightly-hued wildflowers and, of course, the lovely bluebonnets. I wish we could say our yard was as alive. Our horticulturist-in-residence (aka SD) planted grass seed this weekend and has inspected it each morning since to see if there has been any growth. He's says maybe it's just psychological but that he thinks he sees some new stuff sprouting. Spring is for hoping, right? Of course, by the time it takes off, we'll probably be in the dead of winter again, which will, of course, kill off any hopes of the green we are now in waiting for. Then again, we're in Texas, so how cold will it *really* get?

So, I forget what these flowers are called? Somebody help me out here. I remember, as everyone will, plucking them up, puckering, and sending a warm breath across the delicate fuzzies, just to see them float off and swirl around me. My sister said you're supposed to make a wish, so here's mine:

O, great gods of the little airy bulb of fuzzies, please, oh, please send down some freak of nature that allows spring to last through summer so that we will not have to buy bushels of antiperspirant at Target.


Now it's your turn -- make a wish!

make a wish

10 comments:

tracey clark said...

What a gorgeous photo. Please say you'll enlarge it and hang it somewhere!! It's a dandilion. ; )

Happy Spring.

: ) Tracey @ Picture This

m.e. said...

Oh, duh! Why didn't I know this?

Actually, now that you mention it, I think this would go well in our family room!

Thanks for visitiing ;-)

Anonymous said...

Pretty dandelion, the beautiful, fun, wish-granting weed of spring. :)

Jen said...

Hey Jen! Thanks for commenting on my blog. You guys need to come visit us soon! You should do it while Eli can still fly for free ;) BTW, great pictures!! What kind of camera do you have?

Miss you guys too!
Jen C.

Stacy said...

That is a very nice picture, Jen! I see Tracey told you what it is. Cute wish, too! :)

Christina said...

Lovely picture! I probably have a dozen dandelion pictures; they're supposed to be weeds, but I think they're pretty. :o) I'm in Texas, too, and yup, here it is cold again. We've got bluebonnets everywhere as well, and I want to do a photoshoot in them with my daughter.

m.e. said...

Oh, yes, definitely gotta do a photoshoot in the bluebonnets! We've done one quasi-shoot, but I'm hoping to do another before they're gone!

Sara Moon said...

Jen, what is SD? I know DH for dear husband, but what is SD?
Great shot!

m.e. said...

My husband's initials. A lot of the blogs I follow use those instead of DH. And I'll let you in on a little secret, I've been noticing DH on the message boards I've been frequenting lately, and I figured it had to be dear husband or something like that since "my" was used before it, but you've just confirmed it for me. Heh, heh. All this techie lingo. Sheesh. Thanks for visiting my little ol' blog ;-)

Anonymous said...

i love the texture of this, and the way you composed it, and the earthy colors... so pretty. Plus don't you just love what dandelions represent? I agree with Tracy, I'd blow that up into a huge image for the wall.