27 February 2007

curry in a hurry


Okay, here's a quick and easy chicken curry dish. I love curry, so I was thrilled to find this in the latest issue of Real Simple magazine. Enjoy!

1 1/2 tbsp olive oil

1 sm yellow onion, thinly sliced (you could always get pre-chopped in the produce section)

2 tsp curry powder

1/2 c plain yogurt

3/4 cup heavy cream (You could always use half-and-half to make it lighter)

1/2 tsp Kosher salt (I used the good ol' plain stuff)

1/4 tsp black pepper
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, drained (optional...and I opted to skip these)

1 rotisserie chicken (of course, I had to complicate things and get fresh chicken to cook)

2 c cooked white rice (I used Basmati; Jasmine would also be great or couscous)

1/4 c fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (I skipped this!)


Heat oil in skillet. Add onion, cook, and stir for 7 minutes. Sprinkle curry powder, stir, and cook for another minute. Add yogurt and cream and simmer gently (isn't this redundant?) for 3 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, and tomatoes (if using). Remove from heat. Slice or shred chicken. Top rice with chicken then sauce and sprinkle with cilantro. Voila! Oh, and I actually mixed the chicken in the sauce and then topped the rice. Dee-lish!

4 comments:

~Free said...

Yummmm... this is right up my alley!! Did Eli eat it? By the way, Eva is in the same stage of wanting always to feed herself. It is sooo messy. She usually ends up with a pureed food goatee and a deesgusting bib.

m.e. said...

No, Eli didn't have any. I thought about trying it because it was pretty mild, but I was worried it might upset his stomach...because it does that to his daddy sometimes :-( We may try in another month or so. Yes, eating is a great big gooky mess in this house! Fun to watch but not to clean up. Oh well...

mom-in-law said...

I will definitely try this recipe. Of course Father-in-law wont taste it!! Love you.

m.e. said...

Heh. Well, SD actually liked it and usually doesn't like curry stuff so who knows?