08 January 2008

belated resolutions

I've already failed at one of my '08 resolutions, and that was to blog everyday. Stop laughing. Why do I even admit these things in public?

Resolutions. Smesholutions.

Actually, I do have some, but I'll get to those later.

So, happy 2008. Gosh, I really thought we'd be flying around the solar system by now in Jetson-esque space buggies, but I guess that'll be next year, right? If you're like me, in the 90s, I thought that with the turn of the millenium, everything would be space-age, but, really, I'm using the same kind of can opener I used in college. Maybe I'm just a sucker for antiques.

We are finally back at home after two weeks of visiting family and friends in Louisiana. For a girl who cherishes her solitude and doesn't really enjoy lots of hubbub, I have to say, it was, overall, a nice time (which did include me getting a massage and facial with my sister...h.e.a.v.e.n.). However, living out of a suitcase is only tolerable if you are in an exotic locale. You know that, right? And, god, we forgot to pack our pillows again. But we did get lots of help with the kiddo, which was a nice break for us, so we appreciated that and thank the grandparents and aunts and uncles...tremendously. Except now, our child has forgotten what entertaining himself means. So, I will have to re-introduce him to that art.

Shaun is in Maryland, working this week, and my sister arrived today to help me with Eli, which is a relief, because in case you didn't understand what I meant by our toddler forgetting how to self-entertain, then I will put it this way: today, he was a tyrant -- he being my beloved child that I swoon over at night as his eyes become heavy and he releases me from responsibility for at least 6 hours. Yes, he was a tyrant, and I don't feel guilty for saying it. Because I love him, of course. But, if we're being honest here, he drove me absolutely freakin' N.U.T.S. all day. And if he reads this when he is a father, he will know what I am talking about.

So, my resolutions...the short list, at least. And, yes, I am old enough to know that I will probably not succeed at most of them, but let's think positively, shall we? At least until February.

1. To be more honest in all my relationships.
2. To be more spontaneous.
3. To be more generous.
4. To be healthier.
5. To be a better listener.
6. To be peaceful.
7. To call people instead of just emailing.
8. To be kinder to myself.
9. To play more.
10. To clean the toilets at least once a week.

Well, there are more, but I'll spare you. Or maybe I won't. I'll just save them for another blog.

And, no, we haven't sold our house yet. But that's for another blog, too.

Peace in the new year. I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! She's back. Thanks for the great pic of Eli and sharing your smeshoultions. Personally, I'm really interested to see if you can keep up the "cleaning toilet once a week." ha! I had to bust out laughing at that one. I love reading your writing and seeing your beautiful pics, dear friend. It was great talking to you last night, too. Lots of love!

~Free said...

Don't tell me Eli only sleeps for SIX HOURS. JEN?? How can this be?