immortality...sort of
So, last week was Plein Air, an arts festival that draws painters from all over the country to little ol' Easton. The theme of this year's festival was 'Vanishing Landscapes,' and since there are ancient scyamores on our street, there were quite a few artists here everyday. There were literally artists right outside our front window each morning when we opened the blinds. It was actually very inspiring to watch their intensity and artistry. Mid-week Eli and I were asked to 'model' for one of the artists who wanted to paint us into his portrait of the street and the trees. Here is the nearly-finished painting and John, the artist, immersed in work. He was a funny fellow, and it was slightly odd when he was instructing me on exactly how to sweep my front sidewalk, but whatever. I am immortalized, right. I'm not so keen on the fact that I am sweeping because, hello John, this is the 21st century, but okay. It was fun, and we actually got to see the finished painting hanging in the art gallery in town, and we were so proud that we were a small part of it. Too bad it was going for about $3K or we could have had a new piece for our house.
Anyway, here is John and the August street sycamores and mother and child sweeping the steps. I still think it would have been more appropriate and realistic, albeit less romantic, if he would've had me pull out my laptop, sit on the steps, and, I dunno, play a video game with the kid or something. Because I really don't sweep the front sidewalk all that much. Bad housewife.

01 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
How cool. I would love to know what was going through Eli's little mind at that time. He could have had you sweeping your porch instead!!! Oh well. You will hang on the wall in someones home. That's even cooler. Love you...MIL
How exquisitely wonderful! Just think, a hundred years from now you and Eli might end up on Antiques Road Show…Mother and Child…worth $10k,…but priceless to us. Even the sweeping…that indeed is a disappearing landscape.
Smooches & Smooshes,
Aunt Jenny;}
I think this is so great! And you have pictures of it! I love what you said about you actually sitting with the laptop. Ditto! :)
Kristal
How totally awesome! You sweeper, you:) It does really look like you guys, too! How fun to be immortalized and hanging in someone's house forever.
I'm trying to think what they would capture me doing on my front porch . . . swatting mosquitos sad to say. Hugs to everyone!
Allie
Wow, that is too cool! What an awesome experience. How long did you have to model, tho?? I think you hsould get park of that $3K for being the inspiration behind the art. ;)
ha, ha. my husband said i should have gotten paid, too, christina ;-)
OMG OMG OMG How freakin' cool!!!
Sounds like Maryland is treating you fantastic. Your days here in sweltering H-Town must be looooong forgotten. Life sounds absolutely idyllic, Jen. So happy for you!
how fantastic! i love this and i love your grocery store story :) made my night.
Post a Comment