WWOD?
Well, let me first say that I have wanted to do a post about my love-hate relationship with Oprah for a VERY long time, but as these things go, I just never did. Until now.
There is an undeniable paradox that exists in the fact that I find Oprah supremely annoying most of the time; however, I am drawn like a moth to every flaming product she endorses. And her books, gawd, the books. I mean, I am currently reading Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth, if that doesn't speak volumes about my intrigue for Oprah. (Just as a side note, Eckhart is not like all the other kids, folks. I'm just sayin'.) And I still have yet to buy the bra that she swears will change your life, but don't think I've given up on getting that puppy. And don't think for one Chicago minute that I wouldn't be doing a happy jive if I was ever able to get tickets to her show.
But, oh, how she annoys me so. Like when one day she chronicles Lisa Ling's expose on puppy mills or the progress of her school for girls in Africa, and then the next she has Colin Cowie sipping a dirty martini on her stage while talking about how the shamelessly wealthy plan parties -- AND...AND, how you can, too. Except you will have to catch the K-Mart special on wine glasses and placemats to be able to afford for your guests to eat hot dogs.
To be honest, I don't even watch her show anymore, because I just don't have the damn time. But I think about it. Incessantly. And wonder if Nate will be doing another design show soon or if Gayle and Oprah will ever take another road trip. Or if Stedman and the dogs will ever be live guests on the show. Or if Dr. Robin will ever tell Oprah to shut the goddamn hell up when she interjects during every intervention Dr. Robin tries to do. Because, ahem, we all know that Oprah is a psychologist and a direct descendent of Jesus Christ.
And I wonder if Oprah *really* reads all of the books in her book club?
Okay, so anyway, I was so thrilled when my husband called on his way home from work today to tell me that I must listen to THIS interview that he had just heard on NPR's radio program All Things Considered.
I won't say a whole lot because I want you to go and listen for yourself (it's only about 5 minutes), but I will say that I'm kicking myself (with a heavy shoe on my foot) for not thinking of this idea myself.
It's brilliance, pure and simple.
Robyn (a.k.a. LO), the actress behind the social experiment called Living Oprah, also has a blog, www.livingoprah.com, where she chronicles her year of living according to all of Oprah's recommendations for 'living your best life."
I will also say that Robyn (no relation, apparently, to Dr. Robin) is not out to bash Oprah, and really, neither am I. I mean, she does do a lot of good, even if she does have to tell everybody about it and does own, like, um 10 houses or something.
The most important part, and perhaps entire purpose, of the experiment, according to Robyn, is to try to make people aware of the influences that work upon us everyday, particularly from celebrities and the media, and to make us think about what really informs (and what should inform) the daily choices we make.
Amen, sista.
Well, let me first say that I have wanted to do a post about my love-hate relationship with Oprah for a VERY long time, but as these things go, I just never did. Until now.
There is an undeniable paradox that exists in the fact that I find Oprah supremely annoying most of the time; however, I am drawn like a moth to every flaming product she endorses. And her books, gawd, the books. I mean, I am currently reading Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth, if that doesn't speak volumes about my intrigue for Oprah. (Just as a side note, Eckhart is not like all the other kids, folks. I'm just sayin'.) And I still have yet to buy the bra that she swears will change your life, but don't think I've given up on getting that puppy. And don't think for one Chicago minute that I wouldn't be doing a happy jive if I was ever able to get tickets to her show.
But, oh, how she annoys me so. Like when one day she chronicles Lisa Ling's expose on puppy mills or the progress of her school for girls in Africa, and then the next she has Colin Cowie sipping a dirty martini on her stage while talking about how the shamelessly wealthy plan parties -- AND...AND, how you can, too. Except you will have to catch the K-Mart special on wine glasses and placemats to be able to afford for your guests to eat hot dogs.
To be honest, I don't even watch her show anymore, because I just don't have the damn time. But I think about it. Incessantly. And wonder if Nate will be doing another design show soon or if Gayle and Oprah will ever take another road trip. Or if Stedman and the dogs will ever be live guests on the show. Or if Dr. Robin will ever tell Oprah to shut the goddamn hell up when she interjects during every intervention Dr. Robin tries to do. Because, ahem, we all know that Oprah is a psychologist and a direct descendent of Jesus Christ.
And I wonder if Oprah *really* reads all of the books in her book club?
Okay, so anyway, I was so thrilled when my husband called on his way home from work today to tell me that I must listen to THIS interview that he had just heard on NPR's radio program All Things Considered.
I won't say a whole lot because I want you to go and listen for yourself (it's only about 5 minutes), but I will say that I'm kicking myself (with a heavy shoe on my foot) for not thinking of this idea myself.
It's brilliance, pure and simple.
Robyn (a.k.a. LO), the actress behind the social experiment called Living Oprah, also has a blog, www.livingoprah.com, where she chronicles her year of living according to all of Oprah's recommendations for 'living your best life."
I will also say that Robyn (no relation, apparently, to Dr. Robin) is not out to bash Oprah, and really, neither am I. I mean, she does do a lot of good, even if she does have to tell everybody about it and does own, like, um 10 houses or something.
The most important part, and perhaps entire purpose, of the experiment, according to Robyn, is to try to make people aware of the influences that work upon us everyday, particularly from celebrities and the media, and to make us think about what really informs (and what should inform) the daily choices we make.
Amen, sista.


10 comments:
Ooh, I can't wait to listen and read!
I'm off to listen. I feel the EXACT same way about Oprah. I broke up with her a couple of years ago - but I do miss her and think I'm really "in" when I use a product she has listed as a favorite.
Jenn, thanks so much for sharing! What an interesting concept, and cute blog! I'll have to add LivingOprah.com to my daily reads...
I love her, I hate her, I love her, I hate her, I love her,....Oh, I don't know! But I would take those free tickets to Chicago!
Aunt Jenny ;}
She totally gets on my nerves and I watch her almost every day . . . go figure. I guess I like her topics. (and her favorites, and her gurus, and her decorator . . . sigh.) I guess we can't live without her. (Naming her magazine "O" does give me a giggle in the grocery aisle, though. Does this strike anybody else, or is my mind in the gutter . . . :)
O is a totally funny name, Allie. Heh, heh. I get it. Completely.
Don't know if you have looked at the web classes on her site, but I thought they were very helpful while I was reading the book. I have read it twice now and I got even more out of it the second time.
Also, I saw a show where someone asked her if she really read all of the books that she recommends or picks for her Reading Club. She seemed very surprised that people would ask that. And she said that she DOES read everything that she tells us she reads.
Thanks for sharing. I read a little of the blog and I am going to bookmark it.
Kristal
hey, kristal!
thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment ;-)
yeah, i figured she probably read all of the books, but sometimes i just wonder how she has time to do all that she does, ya know! ;-) i guess that's why she's oprah! lol.
Jen~
I've wondered how she has time for that, myself. Many times. But I think I have it figured out. Yes, she is very busy. But think about this...no kids (that's a biggie), she doesn't watch TV except for Planet Earth and Grey's Anatomy, she has a hairdresser, makeup artist, chef, personal shopper, and housekeeper. When she is traveling, she has plenty of reading time on the plane and while someone else is driving her somewhere. She reads in the tub and I think she said she reads some while she is exercising. When I think about it that way, it makes sense that she has more time to read than I do. I would LOVE to get all of that reading in.
:)
Kristal
Ha, ha! Kristal, I completely agree with your assessment. I could seriously rule the world if I had all that "me" time on my hands, and many would argue that she does in fact rule the world, so there you go. lol.
;-)
So, I think I am taking the plunge and ordering the 5D. I know you can appreciate my excitment, so I figured I'd share ;-)
Post a Comment